Due April 1, 2023
Duane Childers Memorial Scholarship
Due April 1, 2023
Two- $1,000 Scholarships to be given in $500 increments during the recipients’ first year of college.
Background and Purpose: Duane Childers was born and raised in Antelope County. He attended Park Center School west of Elgin and graduated from Pope John High School in Elgin. Duane married Michelle Ostrand after college and together they raised five children. All five children graduated from high school in Elgin and all graduated from college with the support of their parents. Duane loved life, but especially loved his grandchildren. We now joke about how much of a “teddy bear” he became as he got older.
Duane was an extremely active member of the Antelope County Shooter’s Club and had a large impact on everyone that he came into contact with. It was certainly not uncommon to run into someone from an entirely different part of the state who knew Duane. Funding for this scholarship is raised annually through a memorial trap shoot honoring both Duane and Marv Koch of Petersburg who was also an avid member of the Club, friend of the family, and equally great man. Duane and Michelle valued the rewards of a great education. This scholarship is to reward academic excellence and achievement while lessening the burden of the cost of a college education. Priority will be given to those who also exhibit high potential moving forward, and those who are interested in eventually moving back to Antelope County.
● Must either be a resident of Antelope County or a graduate from a school in Antelope County
● Must be a current graduating senior and plan to attend college in the fall of 2023
● Demonstrate exceptional character and leadership skills
● Must have at least a 3.0 GPA in high school and continue to achieve this GPA in college
● Recipient must provide proof of full-time status in the fall to receive the first $500
● Recipient must also provide transcripts from the fall semester and proof of full-time status in the spring semester to receive the additional $500 if GPA is met Required Attachments ● Application form
● Resume to include all extracurricular activities, volunteer work, honors and awards, and employment history if applicable
● List of all financial aid that the student has received up to the point of application
● Copy of high school transcript
● Two (2) letters of recommendation
○ One must be from a recent teacher and one must be from someone who is not a relative
● Student essay stating what they want to study in college and why they think they are deserving of this scholarship (250-400 words)
● Please mail these documents to Andrew Childers at 402 S. 2nd St. Elgin, NE 68636, or email them to Curtis Childers at email@example.com. Recipients of this scholarship will be notified by April 15, 2023